P601 LEV Courses overview
This competence-based LEV training course follows the BOHS P601 syllabus. It is designed to provide the theoretical and basic practical knowledge to enable delegates to proficiently undertake Statutory Examinations and Tests of (LEV) plant.
To provide participants with the skills and knowledge required to evaluate the requirements and then undertake the Statutory Examination and Testing (TExTs) of basic LEV systems.
On successful completion of this LEV training course delegates should be able to:
- Evaluate basic LEV system requirements to control airborne contaminants
- Demonstrate understanding of the essential design elements in CoSHH type LEV control systems.
- Show competence in undertaking the mathematical calculations necessary to calculate airflows, velocities etc.
- Understand the practices and procedures for undertaking statutory examinations (TExTs).
- Demonstrate competence in the application and use of LEV test equipment.
- Record the results of the examinations and tests (TExTs) in a suitable format.
It is assumed that delegates will have had day to day dealings with Local Exhaust Ventilating plant systems and should be competent in basic maths (areas, square roots etc). No other specialist knowledge is required.
Who should attend?
Engineers, Supervisors, Managers, Health and Safety professional and Technical staff who have day to day dealings with the specification, design, testing, contract management, and occupational hygiene aspects of LEV plant.
Towards professional recognition and qualification?
The P601 qualification can be added to other BOHS modules e.g. P602, P603, P604 and W201 (in various combinations) to gain further professional recognition through BOHS, eg Certificate of Operational Competence in Control – which permits the successful candidates to use the post-nominal letters ‘CoC Control’ after their name.
On completion of the P600 series of LEV training courses (and W201), candidates may also be eligible for membership of BOHS at Licentiate level (LFOH). See BOHS for more details.
P601 qualification also meets various requirements for membership levels at the Society of Operations Engineers (SOE) and the Institute of LEV Engineers (ILEVE).
Bill Cassells BSc MPhil DSH CEng CMIOSH FIPlantE FSOE FRSPH RSP
P601 LEV Course programme
- Introduction and objectives
- Legislative requirements for control
- Application of ACoPs and standards
- Principles of good control practice
- Achieving control
- The role of the assessment.
- Principles of a local exhaust ventilation (LEV) and basic components
- General ventilation systems
- Local exhaust ventilation (LEV) systems (detailed considerations)
- Dilution ventilation/make-up air systems.
- Basic LEV design standards
- Aerodynamic principles
- LEV Measurement and testing practices and procedures
- Instrumentation and equipment
- Setting performance criteria and standards for LEV
- Written formats and record keeping
- Short Formative practical assessment.
- Revision for Written Practical examination
- Written Practical Examination (2 hrs “Open Book”)
- Revision for Written Theory examination
- Written Theory examination (1h 45m, “Closed Book”)
£945(+exam fee £195) + VAT / delegate
Follow on course
The P604 Performance Evaluation and Management of LEV Systems course is a natural follow-on from this course, as is the OXYL8 P602 LEV Training Course.
We work very hard with all our students to try and ensure a pass ….. first time. Our pass rate is excellent but a occasionally a re-sit may be necessary. If you require an exam re-sit booking then contact us here or call 01479 872 518 or (07970) 754 632